This is the most commonly used program for employers to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia on a temporary basis.Note: The 457 visa program will be discontinued in March 2018. All 457 visa issued before this time will remain in force until their expiration.
Who is eligible for a Temporary Skilled Visa (Subclass 457)?
Sponsoring employers can be either Australian or overseas businesses. This visa is for employers who would like to employ overseas workers to fill nominated skilled positions in Australia.
With this visa you can employ overseas workers for a period of between three (3) months and four (4) years. If the employees occupation appears of the MLTSSL then a visa up to 4 years if available, if the occupation is on the STSOL then a maximum term of 2 years is available.
Employer & Position Requirements for the Temporary Skilled Visa (Subclass 457)
An employer needs to be approved as a sponsor in order to make an application to employ skilled workers from overseas.
If you are an employer with a business that operates in Australia, you must meet benchmarks relating to the training of Australian citizens and permanent residents.
If you are a foreign employer with a business that has no formal operating base or representation in Australia, you may apply to bring employees to Australia to establish a business operation in Australia or fulfil obligations for a contract or other business activity in Australia.
Employee Position Requirements and Obligations for the Temporary Skilled Visa (Subclass 457)As an employee, you must meet all the following requirements:
- be sponsored by an employer to fill a genuine nominated position
- have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
- have English language skills equivalent to allow immigration for the position. Passport holders of certain countries do not have to satisfy this requirement
- be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required to allow immigration for the nominated position if necessary.
- be able to demonstrate that you are to be paid at least the minimum salary level that applies at the time a decision is made on your visa and at a level consistent with an Australian employee in the Australian labour market
Skills assessmentAustralia requires all visa applicants to satisfy the criteria for grant of their visa, thus Subclass 457 visa applicants must satisfy certain skills requirements. Where necessary for safety or to prevent fraud, Australia will undertake more extensive skills assessments to confirm skills claimed by applicants. Australia is improving its skills assessment processes to provide for formal skills testing of some trade occupations. The pilot of this arrangement will commence on 1 July 2009 and be extended as capacities are increased.
Benefits of a Temporary Skilled VisaWith this visa, people you employ from overseas can:
- work in Australia for a period of between three (3) months and four (4) years (12 months when nominated by a start up business)
- bring any eligible secondary applicants with them to Australia – secondary applicants can work and study
- (after entering Australia,) have no limit on the number of times they travel in and out of Australia.