This permanent visa, known as the Business Talent Visa, is designed for high calibre business people who are owners or part owners of an overseas company and have a genuine and realistic commitment to participate in the management of a new or existing business in Australia.
You must be sponsored by a state or territory government. The 132 visa is for high calibre business people from overseas who are less than 55 years old, and their families.
Who is eligible for a Business Talent Visa Permanent (Subclass 132)?
Significant Business History StreamYou, your partner, or you and your partner combined must have all of the following:
- total net assets of at least AUD$400 000 as the ownership interest in one or more qualifying businesses for least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply and if the qualifying business(es) was a publicly listed company, a shareholding of at least 10 per cent of the total issued capital
- net business and personal assets of at least AUD$1.5 million that are legally acquired and can be transferred to Australia within two years after the visa is granted
- a total annual turnover of at least AUD$3 million in one or more of your main businesses in at least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
- ownership of at least: (a) 51 per cent of a business with turnover of less than AUD$400,000 per year; or (b) 30 per cent of a business with turnover of more than AUD$400,000 per year, or (c) 10 per cent of a publicly listed company
- an overall successful business career
- no involvement in unacceptable business activities
- a genuine desire to own and maintain a management role in a business in Australia.
Venture Capital Entrepreneur Stream
You must have received at least AUD1 million in funding from an Australian venture capital firm.
The funding must be for the start-up, product commercialisation or business development of a promising high-value business idea.
The venture capital firm must be a member of the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association Limited (AVCAL). AVCAL has information about the venture capital category of membership in its Venture Capital entrepreneur visa factsheet.
You must have entered into a formal agreement with the venture capital firm for the funding.
Benefits of the Business Talent Visa (Subclass 132)With this visa you can work in a new or existing business in Australia, travel in and out of Australia any number of times as long as the visa is valid, study in Australia, have your family accompany you to Australia (they will have access to work and study rights) and live in Australia as a permanent resident for five years (after 5 years, you will need to apply for a resident return visa).
Significant Business History streamIf you are in this stream, after entering Australia, you must:
- establish a qualifying business in Australia, or
- participate in an existing qualifying business in Australia.
- maintain substantial ownership
- maintain direct and continuous involvement in the day-to-day management of the business
- make decisions that affect the overall direction and performance of the business in a way that benefits the Australian economy.