The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) replaced the Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 457) on 18 March 2018.
This 457 visa was the most commonly used visa for Australian employers wanting to employ foreign workers and this should continue with the TSS (Subclass 482).
Who is eligible for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)?
Short Term Stream
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) on a temporary basis only in occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation list (STSOL) for a TSS visa. It can be used to fill positions for a maximum of two years or four years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.
Medium Term Stream
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas skilled worker) for periods of up to four years in occupations listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL) for a TSS.
Labour Agreement Stream
This stream is available if your employer wishes to sponsor you (as an overseas worker) and has entered into a labour agreement with the Department.
You might be able to get this visa, as an overseas worker, if you:
- have been nominated for a position by an approved sponsor and that nomination has been approved
- meet any required skills and qualifications requirements including completing any skills assessments required
- meet English language requirements
- if in Australia, hold a substantive visa, a 010 (Bridging A) visa, a 020 (Bridging B) visa or a 030 (Bridging C) visa
- have substantially complied with any conditions that apply or applied to your last visa
- meet health and character requirements
- meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.
- Have at least two years work experience in your occupation.
Note: There is no age limit on this visa.
Before you can apply for a TSS visa, your proposed employer will need to lodge a nomination application for you. They will only be able to do this if they are an approved sponsor or have at least lodged an application to become a standard business sponsor. If your employer is still an approved 457 sponsor then they can sponsor you for a TSS (Subclass 482) under that existing sponsorship.
Sponsors also need to evidence mandatory labour market testing to show that they cannot employ an Australian into the position.
What can you do on this Visa
- This visa allows you to travel to and from Australia for the duration of your visa and:
- if you are the primary visa holder, to work in Australia for an approved sponsor in your nominated occupation
- if you are a family member, to work and study in Australia.
Sponsorship, Nomination and Visa Charges can be found here.
Looking for a Different Employer Sponsored Visa?
There are several other sponsored visas available: